“People make beautiful soups and share meals and conversations. There is lots of opportunity to learn from other parents present there and the whole place seems to be helping so many that need a break,” parent participant.
Parents in the Kitchen is a delicious example of community building and community resiliency. Anyone can volunteer – you don’t need to be a chef or have any special training. In fact, we encourage volunteers to make a simple dish that parents with young children can make in their own home. Often, volunteers make a cultural dish, which leads to a cross-cultural experience and exchange.
How it works. Volunteers you will …
- Plan a simple dish.
- Write up a recipe that can be photocopied.
- Be given a small budget to purchase food supplies.
- Prepare the dish in ESFP’s kitchen during the morning Drop-In program.
- Be given a small honorarium for your time and effort.
- If you have a young child, we ask that you arrange childcare so that you can enjoy your cooking experience.
If you would like to volunteer or would like more information about Parents in the Kitchen please fill out this form or talk to a staff member in the Drop-In Centre.